BERNARDINO, PEDRO1; SARAIVA, PAULO2; GOUVEIA, JOÃƒO PAULO3; VASCONCELOS, GRAÃ‡A4; LOURENÃ‡O, PAULO5
1) I. PolitÃ©cnico de Coimbra, ISEC, DEC, Rua Pedro Nunes, Quinta da Nora, 3030-199 Coimbra, Portugal, email@example.com
2) I. PolitÃ©cnico de Coimbra, ISEC, DEC, Rua Pedro Nunes, Quinta da Nora, 3030-199 Coimbra, Portugal, firstname.lastname@example.org
3) ISISE / I. PolitÃ©cnico de Coimbra, ISEC, DEC, Rua Pedro Nunes, Quinta da Nora, 3030-199 Coimbra, Portugal, email@example.com
4) ISISE/ University of Minho, Engineering School, 4800-058, AzurÃ©m, GuimarÃ£es, Portugal, firstname.lastname@example.org
5) ISISE/ University of Minho, Engineering School, 4800-058, AzurÃ©m, GuimarÃ£es, Portugal, email@example.com Â
The walls are the resistant basis of the buildings where the masonry constructive solution is used. This way they are the main responsible element for the global stability. Therefore, the walls should ensure the resistance to all kind of actions and stresses. Sometimes, the rupture or collapse in masonry walls is related to stresses concentrated in some points of the masonry building or are the result of a wrong conception of the element responsible for the vertical and horizontal distribution stress all over the walls. Examples of these elements are the locking beams on masonry panels and the lintel beams on openings, doors and windows.
This research aims to understand in a better way the masonry beams behaviour subjected to vertical actions, i.e., in-plane loading. To execute lintel beams there are usually used reinforcing steel bars as the basis system of reinforcement and now it is presented hereby the proposal of a new method of beams reinforcement using prefabricated bed joint reinforcement.
During the experimental phase of this study, there were performed beams with both reinforcement options to compare the results and the failure modes to verify the availability of the proposed method. The most evident advantages of this method are: speed of execution, reduction of materials and waiver of skilled labour in cutting, folding and assembly of reinforcing steel bars.
Keywords: Masonry, beams, flexure, tests