ALASTAIR W STUPART
Building Research Establishment
This research has determined the nature and effectiveness of communication related to the construction of brickwork. It was based on a literature review, a questionnaire survey and site visits. The research has focused on bricklaying, both to achieve improvements for this sector and as a starting point for industrywide improvement. The emphasis of the work was on improving communication and not the technical consequences of defects. The findings include the following:
• large numbers of best practice information documents are available from several organisations. At least seven communication methods exist other than paper documents.
• little use is made of technical literature
• holding a pre-start or “kick off” meeting can be crucial.
• drawings can have a crucial role in determining the build
• the employment of a bricklaying foreman is a positive
A series of recommendations on effective site communication have been developed.